The global imperative to collaborate on coal power phase-out has never been greater. Urgent action is needed to meet the temperature goals of the Paris Agreement—and phasing out unabated  coal power is one of the most important steps the world can take to do so.
UN Secretary-General Guterres has called on all governments, private companies and local authorities to “end the deadly addiction to coal”. While PPCA members are already working together to speed up the coal-to-clean transition, many more governments and businesses need to get on board if the world is to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
Why join the Powering Past Coal Alliance?
Join us to demonstrate your leadership, share your experience, and advance the coal-to-clean transition across the world!
Credibility and recognition: PPCA membership demonstrates a serious commitment to the transition from coal to clean power. The established global presence of the Alliance, including at preeminent climate events, offers members ample opportunities for showcasing their achievements to the international community.
Knowledge and expertise: Members gain access to the largest global network of experts and practitioners working together on coal power phase-out, who share experience and best practices, and adopt practical initiatives to support the transition. Areas of ongoing work include Just Transition, Utility and Grid Transformation, and Finance Reform.
Leadership platform: PPCA membership strengthens members’ ability to lead and successfully influence coal phase-out plans of other governments and businesses. Through collective outreach and collaboration beyond its current membership, the Alliance helps others establish viable clean energy alternatives and overcome key economic, social and technical barriers to the transition.
How to join the Powering Past Coal Alliance?
By joining the PPCA, members make a voluntary commitment to advance coal phase-out. Members that fully endorse the PPCA Declaration commit to phase out unabated coal by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by 2050 in the rest of the world.
National governments that cannot yet commit to these timelines, but are in the process of developing and implementing ambitious actions on coal power phase-out, can join the PPCA by committing to :
- Stop building new unabated coal plants domestically;
- Stop providing international finance to unabated coal;
- Set a phase-out date for unabated coal power generation; and,
- Align policies with the Paris Agreement goal to limit global temperature rise to well below 2°C, with efforts to limit it to 1.5°C.
The PPCA is ready to work with countries who want to make the transition from coal-fired power to clean forms of energy to help them accelerate their efforts and gradually bring their commitments in line with the PPCA Declaration.
Subnational government members of the PPCA commit to using all policy and regulatory levers under their authority, and to encouraging national governments, other subnational governments and businesses in their respective countries to phase out unabated coal power in line with the PPCA Declaration: by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by no later than 2050 in the rest of the world.
Private sector members of the PPCA commit to:
- Electricity suppliers or generators commit to stopping building new unabated coal-fired power plants and to phasing out those that exist, by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by no later than 2050 in the rest of the world.
- Financial institutions commit to restricting finance and financial services to new and existing unabated coal fired power generation, in line with the PPCA's Finance Principles.
- Large consumers of electricity commit to powering their operations without unabated coal-fired electricity, by 2030 in the OECD and EU, and by no later than 2050 in the rest of the world.
Prospective members are asked to:
- Send a letter or email to confirm your commitment to the Alliance goals.
- Identify a contact person that the Secretariat can share news and information about meetings, events, announcements, etc with. We would like to keep our members informed and engaged as the Alliance grows.
- Provide a few short points to highlight what your government or business is doing to support coal phase-out.
In order to find out more about the Alliance, send us an email at: email@example.com
 Unabated refers to coal power generation without any technologies to substantially reduce CO2 emissions, e.g., operational carbon capture and storage or utilization.
 In September 2019, the PPCA responded to the growing demand for support on the transition from coal to clean energy by enabling membership for national governments that are in the process of developing and implementing ambitious actions on coal phase-out. Further information about membership criteria and the formation of a Declaration Group is provided in this PPCA news article.